HST Tutorial Drawn Grids
Four HST at a time:
Magic 8 methods for HST:
- Determine the finished size; i.e. 3" finished HST
- Add 7/8' to measurement: 3 7/8"
- Multiply measurement; 3 7/8 by 2= 7 3/4'
- 7 3/4" squares are the required size ( for the 2 fabrics) to make 3" finished HST
Multiple Grid to make 40 HST from the same 2 fabrics:
- Decide on the finished size HST: i.e. 3"
- Add 1" to the finished size for the grid size: 4"
- Your grid will be 5 squares across and 4 squares down; with this example you will draw on the wrong side of the lighter fabric 20" across and 16" down and close to the edges of the fabric
- Next, draw the diagonal lines, Start in the upper left corner for the first diagonal line and then on either side draw diagonal lines every other intersection.
- Next draw the other diagonal lines and make sure you cross the intersections you crossed before.
- Now start sewing 1/4" in from the market line in the left upper corner and follow the red arrows.
- Seams are now sewn on either side of the diagonally drawn lines. The HST are sewn so now you need to cut them apart: First, cut around the outside perimeter of the HST set. Second, cut on the 4 drawn vertical lines. Third, cut on the 3 drawn horizontal lines. Forth, cut on all the diagonally drawn lines that are in between the stitched lines.
- Press open and cut the tails off